22.6.09

Cafe Demetre At the Oakville Centrum

2085 Winston Park Drive Oakville, Ontario L6H 6A6 905.829.2400

A M A L says DEVOUR THIS FOOD


1) Appearance - schizophrenic, not particularly nice, too colourful, don't really kno what they're going for, but it's ok. The desserts always look great
2) Service - not usually mind blowing, they are only serving deserts after all, but in particular the last time we went, it was ridiculously slow. Waited about 20 mins for our ice-cream, and we were only there to kill time before our movie...needless to say we made it as the previews had already started.
3) Portions - huge
4) Taste - great. Seriously as good as it looks. I got the Black Velvet Waffle with vanilla ice cream.
5) Price - approx. $10 per person
C H R I S says DEVOUR THIS FOOD
1) Appearance - kinda reminds me of playland at McDonald's
2) Service - see Amal's comment
3) Portions - great!
4) Taste - i've only ever had the Unforbidden Fruits Waffle thing with chocolate sauce....yum! its always good.
5) Price - not bad, perfect for a snack before a movie


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous20.10.09

    Hello previous posters. I noticed the comment about service. I'm curious about something because I work at a Caffe Demetres (a different location). I noticed the comment "they are only serving desserts afterall" and I was wondering if you think that mentality is the reason we don't get tipped very well at all.

    I've found over the past six months that no matter how good my service is, even when people seem utterly joyous because of the experience, they don't tip very well. We're lucky if we get tipped 10 per cent of the bill the majority of the time.

    Do you think it's because people consider it "just a dessert place"? I'd really appreciate your opinions. I just can't get my head around it! We serve just like every restaurant and servers tip out 6 per cent just as many servers would.

    What do you think?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anonymous,
    I'm not sure why the tips are not great there. As a rule, Chris and I always tip a minimum of 15%, and if the service or food or experience is great, then we would go larger. I thought this was the general rule!
    In our experiences, no offence to the servers, the service has not been great. Personally, we do not undertip. But I can understand people undertipping perhaps if they were not satisfied in their expectations.

    I understand you work hard - a serving job is a serving job wherever you go! In my saying that the servers were only serving dessert afterall, I merely meant to point out that we were not at some fine-dining establishment ordering a $50 steak, where my expectations would certainly be much higher.

    Overall though, you are right: You should be tipped decently,especially for your great service. Hopefully people can read your comment and realize that perhaps they need to tip more generously. (That being said, we are coming out of a recession...perhaps this had something to do with it?)

    I wish you luck and hope your tips have been getting better!

    Best,
    Amal

    ReplyDelete